søndag 25. oktober 2009

A Sealsational Day!

Who am I lecturing?

Lots and lots and lots of seals at the island these days. First thing first!

The seal colony at Børra has grown! It now occupies two skerries in the bay. I counted around 24 at the usual skerries, one laid alone on a stone, and a whole group of ten occupied a new skerry!

This is totally new for this place.

The most sensational sight were at the RAMSAR reserve Skogvoll. I counted like 48 seals on the usual places. But out in the sea I suddenly became aware of a skerry that looked like it was packed with seals. No way! I thought. It's just some thing I want to sea. Peeking through my binocular I really saw a pack of seals here. It was not easy to count them. I would estimate it to be around 25-30 - or more! Then I saw another skerry , packed with seals. 10 or 15 maybe. Or more? I was not at all sure if this really was seals, but when I moved to another spotting places I was reassured they were not stones. They moved! Stones don't move! At least they didn't used to.

I usually try to count the seals from two or three places. An different angel often reveal more seals on one places. They can lay really hard packed together, or upon each other, what looks like one seal, can really be three animals. Counting them from different places often reveal new seals. This time I choosed to watch from four places. Glad I did. Suddenly the stones on another skerry moved! And there were no less animals there than on the other two.

So, how many seals did I see at Skogvoll today? No one knows. They were to far out in the sea for my binoculars. But I know for sure that I have seen more than I have ever seen before on this place. I have also seen them on new places. I will be fun to follow them during the autumn and winter.

Ingen kommentarer: