mandag 25. april 2011

Small Whale Paddle



My first though was, Orcas! But now I think they might have been White-beaked Dolphin (Lagenorhynchus albirostris) - Or even both.

At first I thought Orcas because they were hunting very aggressive and made a lot of noise. They where jumping up in the air, tail-flapping and spy-hopping. The dorsal fin was also prominent - large and straight.

When I came closer I saw that some of them, the smallest ones didn't have any clear white spots where they should have been. They were more like grey-white and there was more of the white than there is on Orcas. These animals were also smaller than my kayak, whereas the first ones I saw where bigger than the boat.

My conclusion so far most be that there where mostly White-beaked Dolphins and this was also the animals that let me come closest to them. A couple of the more distant animals had a more prominent dorsal fin and could have been Orcas.

1 kommentar:

Anonym sa...

Helt ufattelig kult Martin! Fantastiske bilder.


mvh,
Svein-Frode